Sunday 7 July 2013

Featured Blog Piece by Ayesha!

It wouldn't be nothing without a woman or a girl, will it always be a man's world?




I have often heard people say that “women and men are not equal.” To back up their argument a list of things that women can not do, that men can (and visa versa) would be added. Women might not piss standing up, and men might not be able to bare children  but ultimately woman and man are born equal! They are different, yes, but one is not more important than the other. One cannot survive without the other. Woman and man are meant to be a harmonious team! They are equal opposites! Just like an up and a down, night and day, push and pull, inhalation and exhalation. Man and woman are the two opposites of the same motion. However, when one tries to control, and overshadow the other. Or when one forgets it’s purpose and falls victim to the will of the other, instead of following it’s own destiny, things become unbalanced! The motion will become stagnant.



Would you say that the world we live in right now is a harmonious world? Yeah! Me neither! War, competition and violence seem to be such a prominent part of our society. I don’t know about you, but i am fed up of hearing about young girls being abducted, and wars in foreign lands. What would it take for humanity to become balanced again? I want nothing more then for people to have respect for one an other no matter the persons creed, colour or sex. Maybe the imbalance we see in the world is a reflection of the imbalance we carry within ourselves.
Being an ambitious woman, I have alway felt that i have so much to offer, but for some reason could never quite assert myself without fearing what other people would think. I know I can do what ever it is I put my mind to, but why do I feel so apprehensive when it comes to expressing what I really think and feel? Maybe its down to the experiences I have had when I have attempted to assert myself in the past. Or maybe I’m just not man enough for the job!
A woman can now participate fully in society; she can lead boardroom meetings, play football, study any subject she chooses, and participate in political decision-making.  Since us women became “free” we have been trying to prove our equality by doing everything a man can do, and then some. As Beyonce puts it we’re “strong enough to bare the children, then get back to business.” However, things still don’t feel quite right. Women are free in a man’s world, but it is still a man’s world! (hold tight james brown). Women’s bodies can do what ever they like, but when a man wants to see some titties, or relieve some pent up tension, a woman’s body suddenly becomes public property!? Who are we to say “no” to these “compliments.” For some reason we are expected to open ourselves up to be groped, grabbed, critiqued and wolfwhistles at by strangers, as if their sexist gestures are signs that we are successful women. After all what could a woman want more then desirability?


I believe that peace, and respect can only be created when man and woman learn how to cooperate, and build a world that is governed by both masculine and feminine principles. The first step in cooperation is understanding! Men and women are different, and the same, all at once! We must understand the power in ourselves and the power of the other.
The main perpetrator in the oppression of the feminine is the media. It’s continuse sexualisation of the female body has had a significant impact on our perception of femininity, and a woman’s place in society. The images that we are continuously exposed to from birth tell us that the female body is synonymous with sex, sex is not something women just get to experience, it is something that our bodies define! “Sex sells” after all, but it always seems to be the female body on sale. I was taken in by all the lies splashed over the covers of magazines, billboards and television programs. like most people are at first! It was only until my eyes were opened that I realised how harmful my actions had been. Only then could I really see the damage I hade done to myself by repressing my femininity, and replacing it with this new false view of what it means to be a woman.
I modeled myself as a man at work, and an object of desire in my personal life, neither of which were really me! I also noticed how the two ways of modeling myself would sometimes over lap. At work I felt obliged to giggle back when faced with sexualising comments. I use to assist photographers on photoshoots, a lot of which were celebrity shoots, so the people being photographed were not always professional models. I was often referred to as “eye candy” by the man I was working for, to keep the male clients happy so the photographer could get a good shot. One client referred to me and a female make-up artist (who was working for herself not the photographer!) as “the photographers glamourous assistances.” A little condescending! At the time I didn’t argue with these comments, but when doing the job I was there to do, (set up lights and organise digital files) I often felt like I wasn’t good enough, or that I wouldn’t be taken seriously on the job.
I finally see why I felt so damn frustrated in both areas. Since reading a lot of feminist literature I finally feel fulfilled in both areas of my life, I have gained insight in areas that I couldn’t see before, I have answers to questions and a deeper understanding of reality. I can’t say I have quite mastered it yet, and the system isn’t really built to accommodate this new feminine perspective, but understanding is the first step! If enough people allow themselves to understand, hopefully the system will respond accordingly!


No comments:

Post a Comment